Charles R. Morgan specializes in handling complex and sensitive assignments for international corporations and law firms which represent them. His work has included conducting internal investigations, creating effective compliance systems, due diligence investigations of potential business partners, agents and consultants. He has had extensive experience as both inside and outside counsel in dealing with investigations by the Department of Justice, Securities Exchange Commission, State Attorneys General, and foreign enforcement agencies related to alleged violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, the Federal securities laws and U.S. and foreign antitrust laws.
Mr Morgan has worked extensively with inside and outside counsel in representing boards and special committees in independent and internal investigations, securities derivative and 10(b) (5) claims, corporate compliance and other matters.
Mr. Morgan has served as Executive Vice President and General Counsel of BellSouth Corporation where he was responsible for all legal matters in the 40 countries of North and South America, Europe and Asia where BellSouth conducted business. He directed the activities of over 250 attorneys and served as chair of the Corporate Compliance Policy Board. Mr. Morgan also served as Vice President and General Counsel of Chiquita Brands International where he supervised legal matters, security operations and government relations worldwide. He has also served as Deputy General Counsel and as Chief International Counsel at Kraft Foods, Inc. In private practice, Mr. Morgan served as litigator at Davis Polk & Wardwell in New York and as a corporate partner at Mayer Brown in Chicago, where he focused on business practice reviews, domestic and international antitrust, corporate compliance, merger and acquisitions, and international business transactions.
Mr Morgan holds a Juris Doctorate degree from Columbia University School of Law and a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He is a member of the Association of General Counsel, The American Law Institute, and the American Bar Association.
Charles R. Morgan, J.D.
FTI CONSULTING, Atlanta, GA.
Managing Director and Special Counsel
- Assist clients with records management and electronic discovery, compliance programs, internal corporate investigations (including antitrust and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act) and corporate governance.
- Advise corporate counsel on various management issues, such as controlling legal costs, and on relationships between inside and outside counsel.
ON-SITE E-DISCOVERY AND THE PARTNERS GROUP, Atlanta, GA.
Executive Vice President and General Counsel
- Directed all legal affairs and served as key executive of these companies, which deliver services in the areas of e-discovery, computer forensics, compliance, attorney staffing. Reported directly to Chairman and CEO.
BELLSOUTH CORPORATION, Atlanta, GA
($86 billion telecommunications company)
Executive Vice President and General Counsel
- Directed all legal matters of the company, including compliance, regulatory, litigation, antitrust, mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, divestitures, corporate governance, labor/employment, contracts, international, FCPA and Sarbanes-Oxley.
- Reported directly to Chairman and CEO.
- Worked closely with the Board of Directors, Board Committees and senior management team. Directed a staff of approximately 500, including 240 attorneys.
- Protected the company’s brand assets and rights in litigation.
- Integrated legal department services with business development, operations, external/government affairs, sales and the changing needs of the business.
- Successfully served shareholder interests by achieving significant legal victories involving intellectual property, anti-trust, contractual disputes, regulatory, etc.
- Set gold standards for compliance programs that protected the company’s director, officers, assets, employees and shareholder values.
- Successfully chaired company Compliance Policy Board.
- Enhanced credibility of the law department with Board of Directors and senior management team.
- Hired, developed and led a top quality law department that met and exceeded corporate expectations in their responsiveness, accuracy and business acumen.
- Leadership role in a variety of complex transactions, ranging from the creation of Cingular joint venture with SBC to the acquisition of AT&T Wireless.
- Played a key role in recognition of BellSouth as a national leader in the hiring and promotion of women and minorities.
MAYER BROWN LLP, Chicago, IL
(An international law firm)
- Developed and maintained a diversified practice, with an emphasis on general corporate matters, mergers and acquisitions, international business transactions, corporate governance issues, domestic and international antitrust matters, corporate compliance and preventive law, business practice reviews, litigation and alternative dispute resolution.
CHIQUITA BRANDS INTERNATIONAL, INC., Cincinnati, OH
( A $10 billion NYSE multinational company, formerly known as United Brands)
Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary
- Directed all legal affairs of the company, led the Office of Government Relations in Washington, D.C. and the corporate Security Department. Member of and counsel to Corporate Employee Benefits Committee. Directed a staff of 40 attorneys.
- Received the “Chairman’s Award” for protecting the company’s assets and customers.
- Successfully handled significant international trade matters.
- Hired, developed and led an excellent legal staff.
KRAFT, INC, Glenview, IL
Vice President and Senior Corporate Counsel
- Directed all legal affairs and acted as General Counsel for Kraft’s diverse international businesses operating in over 40 countries. Member of Operating Committee and Management Policy Committee. Supervised a staff of 35 attorneys.
HOUSEHOLD INTERNATIONAL, INC., Chicago, IL
(A NYSE company then engaged in manufacturing, retailing, leasing, finance, banking and transportation. Now known as Household Finance.)
- Corporate-wide responsibility for litigation, anti-trust, environmental, compliance and labor/employment.
DAVIS POLK & WARDELL, New York, NY
- Handled complex commericial disputes, environmental litigation, securities and class action litigation, take-over litigation, international disputes, FCPA investigations and accountants’ liability.
U.S. COURT OF APPEALS, Washington, D.C.
- Researched and drafted opinions and memoranda for Judge Roger Robb.
Chairman, Board of Directors, The Corporate E-Discovery Forum
The American Law Institute
Member and former Chair, Committee of Corporate General Counsel, ABA Section of Business Law
Member, Board of Directors and Nominating Committee, CPR International Institute for Dispute Resolution
Vice Chairman, Board of Directors, Southern Center for International Studies
Member, Board of Directors, U.S. Supreme Court Historical Society
Member, Board of Trustees, Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Under Law
Member and former National Director, Association of Corporate Counsel
Member and former Chair, Corporate Counsel Committee, ABA Litigation Section
Former Vice Chair, Corporate Counsel Committee, International Bar Association
Former Member, Board of Directors, American Arbitration Association
Former Chair, Council of Racial and Ethics Justice, ABA
Emeritus Member, National Steering Committee, National Constitution Center
Former Chair, Council of Legal Officers, The Conference Board
Former Member, Board of Visitors, Georgia State Law School
Emeritus Member, Association of General Counsel
Former Member, Commission on Racial and Ethnic Minorities in the Profession, ABA
Chair, Georgia Supreme Court Blue Ribbon Commission on Indigent Defense
“Spirit of Excellence” Award – American Bar Association
“Elbert P. Tuttle Jurisprudence” Award – Anti-Defamation League
“Amicus Curiae Award” – U.S. Supreme Court
“Legal Diversity Award – American Corporate Counsel Association
“Brown v Board of Education” Award – Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Under Law
National Diversity Leadership” Award – Coalition of Bar Associations of Color
Diversity Award – Minority Corporate Counsel Association
“President’s Award of Excellence” – Gate City Bar Association
“Access to Justice” Award – American Bar Association
“Commitment to Equality” Award – Committee on Women and Minorities in the Profession – Georgia State Bar
“Amicus Curiae” Award – Supreme Court of Georgia
Organized and participated in conferences on various topics, including electronic discovery and records management, compliance, Sarbanes-Oxley, corporate goverance, due diligence, diversity, management of law departments, etc. throughout the U.S. and various forgeign locations, including Berlin, Buenos Aires, New Delhi, Sydney and Melbourne.